Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Creative Ideas Journal Cover

Do you have a place that you store all your crafty ideas? I do it the old fashioned way in a notebook. It has sketches of my creations, materials used or that I wish to use, journaling, dates that I have completed projects, etc. I both record as ideas and inspiration strike as well as while in the process of creating. This book is always at hand's reach when I create.

I started this newest journal edition awhile ago but I had yet to make a cover for it. Well, today was the day.





Supplies: patterned paper (Simple Stories), doily (Michaels), embossed butterfly chipboard (Studio 18), Tim Holtz Distress ink (Ranger), label stamp (Fontwerks), StazOn ink (Tsukineko), alphabet wood veneers (Studio Calico), Glimmer Mists (Tattered Angels), pen (Sharpie), jean material, mother of pearl buttons, thread (miscellaneous)

I used up some old stash, as well as upcycled items.  The dyed mother of pearl buttons are antiques that I had in a button box that I got years ago at auction. The jean remnant, leftover from an old well-worn pair of mine. The partial crochet doily is the leftover from this beloved layout. With all the fabrics and notions, I thought it would be perfect to stitch the edge on the cover.

The element that was interesting to fashion was the label. I adhered the aluminum foil shiny side down onto an 140lb piece of cardstock to give it a more galvanized/brushed nickel look. After stamping the Fontwerks label image onto it using StazOn, I fussy cut around the outer edge leaving a border. Then I got out an old embossing stylus and embossed the in-between frames part and the border edge. This gave it some dimension and character and then it was ready for the Glimmer Misted Studio Calico wood veneer letters to be adhered to it. 

I am digging the shabby chic colours on this and the sentiment (which is similar to one currently on a Magenta stamp) that I thought was perfect for my journal purposes.

TTFN,


3 comments:

Carole Dion said...

Very nice!

Dana Tatar said...

I LOVE this! There is something about denim, bright pink and butterflies that just looks absolutely fantastic on any project. Thanks for sharing! :)

Ella Swan said...

Very pretty indeed!!