Pages

Monday, February 1, 2016

Watercolouring Cards

I immensely enjoyed Watercolour for Cardmakers class two years ago, that when I saw that Online Card Classes were offering an Intermediate Techniques version, I had to join. It has turned out to be so chalked full of lessons each day, that it is going to take a while to work my way through them. Way longer than the 12 interactive days allotted in the course but that is okay as once you have enrolled you have lifetime access. Phew! ;)

Today, I am sharing one of my day 1 cards using the wet on wet technique that Dawn Woleslagle taught. Instead of drawing or tracing a die cut, I used a Magenta Sweet Garden flower stencil. It works well as long as you do not saturate the stencil edges. This also allows the flowers to look more free form and less "perfect" from a fully stencilled design. I was not caught up in creating perfect stencilled flowers so as I removed the stencil after wetting a flower to add the colour, I had to be patient to let it dry enough prior to moving on to the next flower so as not to smudge the colour from the previous one.






Supplies: 140 lb watercolour paper (Strathmore 500 series), cardstock (Bazzill), stencil, stamp and Nuances (Magenta), Archival ink (Ranger)

I was curious to see how Nuances would work for this as a watercolour. I used Hot Pink, Orange, and Golden Yellow for the flowers and Grass Green for the leaves on 140 lb Strathmore 500 series cold press paper. I chose to use a very concentrated mix of each colour but it is possible to get a paler effect by mixing in more water on your tray prior to painting. These turned out so fabulously bright and vivid. I love it.

TTFN,


No comments: