Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Live Gently Upon This Earth - Mixed Media ATC

Hi Crafty Friends,

If you are a reader of my blog or follower of my Instagram account, you know that I like to often recycle by upcycling things as part of my art pieces; so I was totally stoked when the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week was to Recycle Something.

I really wanted to challenge myself, so I gathered a bunch of recycling pieces and did a bit of experimenting and came up with this mixed media ATC.






Here, I have a drink cup holder, a piece of cardboard packaging, a piece of an old outdated dictionary page, a toilet roll, and the mesh from a bag of clematines. I never ended up using the newspaper as my first experiment went so well.





I started with the take out fibre drink holder which I torn part of into small pieces, soaked them in a strainer with water and then mixed them with white glue to make a paste/clay. After working the mixture, I used an IOD Art Decor Keyhole molds to create various ornamental pieces. While they were drying, I worked on the other pieces. I cut the cardboard to 2 1/2 by 3 1/2 ATC size and then spritzed it with water so as to remove the top layer in areas. Once I had done that, I applied multi medium matte to the remaining areas and glued on a piece of the dictionary page. Once it was dry, I peeled away the parts that were not glued and then brushed on gesso to cover the whole background. While that was drying, I cut a piece of the fruit package mesh and coloured it with Tim Holtz Pitch Black and Gold Mixative Alcohol inks.





Next, I glued the toilet paper roll on the inside to create an x-ish pattern and then used it to stamp on Tim Holtz Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint to the gessoed background. Once dry and crackled, I added colour with Prima IOD water soluble oil pastels in Yellow Green, Cadium Green and Cobalt Green. I activated the colour with a water brush, adding and intensifying the colour until I was happy with the look.





Then, I trimmed and coloured the molded ornamental keyhole piece with Finnabair's Lucky Emerald Art Alchemy with a brush. Next, I adhered the mesh and and keyhole piece to the base using Multi Medium Matte. Then, I choose a sentiment sticker that I thought was perfect for recycle theme. I cut and trimmed the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Small Chat sticker into two pieces along with distressing the edges prior to adhering them to complete the ATC.






Supplies: IOD Art Decor Keyhole, Yellow Green, Cadium Green & Cobalt Green IOD Water Soluble Oil Pastels, Lucky Emerald Finnabair Art Alchemy Wax (Prima), white glue (Elmer’s), Multi Medium Matte, Tim Holtz Pitch Black & Gold Mixative Alcohol inks, Tim Holtz Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint (Ranger), gesso (Liquitex), Tim Holtz Idea-ology Small Chat sticker (Advantus), drink cup holder, cardboard packaging, dictionary page, toilet roll, & mesh fruit packaging (misc.)

I am also entering this mixed media ATC into this month's Bleeding Art Anything Goes Challenge.

You can check out both challenges details and other entrants creations here:

          Bleeding Art




TTFN,


6 comments:

Cathy F said...

Very cool and creative - I love that! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding Art!

Meihsia Liu said...

Love your gorgeous creation! The texture and embellishments are so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous, thank you for joining us over a Bleeding Art.
Hugs
Linda xxx
Bleeding Art DT

Di Di W said...

This is beautiful and the drink carrier idea is great. I have a couple of paper molds that I haven’t used in years. I never would have thought of using the carriers. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you.

scrappallino said...

I love ATC and I love this beautiful recycling.
Thank you so much for coming to see me!

sarascloset said...

This is one creative way to use your disposables! I love that you made your own clay out of the cardboard fibers and how you've used the mesh bag. So clever and a true piece of art! Congratulations on your WELL DESERVED Spotlight at SSS! Hugs!