Monday, September 4, 2017

Index Card Experimentation

I often reach for an index card when I am trying out a new technique. They are versatile and durable, standing up to a lot of moisture, handling, and layers. They come pre-cut in 3"x5" or 4"x6" sizes and if I like my experimentation piece, they make a great greeting card size.

Today, I am sharing a greeting card that evolved in such a manner from index card experimentation.

I started by scraping gesso onto the blank side of a 4"x6" index card, leaving many small areas bare. Once dry, I used a Graphite Stabilo All pencil around the edges and activated it with a wet brush. Leaving some areas bare allows colour to saturate the paper giving it a grungy aged look.  Once that was dry, I used texture paste through the Flower Silhouette stencil to add two flower images. 

Supplies: Flower Silhouette stencil, Laces stencil, Script and Postage stamp, Sending Hugs stamp (Magenta), Dina Wakley Blackberry and Black Scribble Sticks, Sterling and Black Dina Wakley Acrylic paint, Black Archival ink, fine Black embossing powder, and Texture Paste (Ranger), gesso (Golden), Graphite and Black Stabilo All pencils (Stabilo), index card (Staples)

Once the paste was dry, using a Blackberry Dina Wakley Scribble Stick, I added colour all around the flower edges and then activated it and dissolved it out with a water brush allowing the colour to fade as it moves away from the flowers. Once, that was dry, I placed the stencil back over the flowers and stamped the raised flowers with black Archival ink and the Script and Postmark stamp. Next, I edged the flowers with a Black Stabilo All pencil and activated it with water. 

Then, I sponged silver paint through the Laces stencil and once it was dry, I added depth with a Graphite Stabilo All. Next, I scraped a touch of gesso over the stencil painted sections to age and blend them. I added some splatters of watered down black acrylic paint and because I was thrilled with how the index card experimenting turned out, I added the Sending Hugs sentiment by heat emboss stamping and adhered it to a card base. A little black Stabilo All edging and it was done.


Magenta products used:

No comments: