Hi crafty friends! I have to start out with a Yeah for mid May! I have been waiting for this day for two months. Today, is my first official post as part of the Bleeding Art Challenge Blog Design Team. We host a monthly mixed media Anything Goes Challenge which draws such a variety of styles from around the world. My inspiration creation for this month's challenge is a faux plaster/stone floral mixed media canvas.
I started by creating a taped off 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" area on a craft mat and then I spread Ranger Texture Paste with a spatula in the space. I let it set up enough that if I could gently touch the surface and it would not lift or move the paste. I then spritzed the Magenta Doodle Flower stamp with water and then pressed the stamp into the paste near the top right section and repeated the process for the bottom left part to create the floral focal point. Next, I took the Script and Postmark stamp and spritzed it with water before pressing it into the surface in multiple places to add dimensional texture interest.
Once it was dry, I coloured it with Tim Holtz Distress Ink products. I spritzed the whole piece with Vintage Photo Distress Spray Stain and then blotted up all the colour on the panel surface leaving it to well in the script, flower outline and post mark impressions. Next, I spritzed the whole thing with Antique Linen Distress Spray Stain. Once it was dry, the Antique Linen was too light so I used a small brush and added some Distress Vintage Collage Medium which also worked to seal the colour. Then, I coloured the flower using Wild Honey Distress Ink for the flower petals and Peeled Paint for the stems and leaves. I decided at that point the the panel background colour didn't provide enough contrast to the flower's colours so I used my fingers to dab on little bits of gesso being careful to stay on the flat surface and not fill any of the cracks.
While the floral panel was drying, I turned my attention to creating the background base. I covered a 5" x 7" dollar store canvas with black gesso. Once that was dry to touch, I adhered the black tissue paper with collage medium, crinkling and scrunching the tissue as I went along covering the entire canvas. Once the tissue was glued down I then added a coat of the medium on top and set it aside to dry. Once it was dry, it has a bit of a gloss sheen but only in some sections that I wanted to get rid of as well as I wanted the crinkled tissue texture to show more so I simply ran my emboss buddy across it depositing some powder over the surface that did the trick.
Now, I was ready to it all together. I adhered the panel with two layers of cereal box board beneath it to pop it up a bit onto the canvas. Next, I created the bloom word strip on my computer using a type writer font for the text in white and word highlight in black and printed it onto cardstock. After cutting it out, I adhered it with Multi Medium Matte to the panel to finish it off.
There you have it... my finished mixed media seasonal panel. I love the vintage antiqued faux stone/plaster cast look that I achieved. I am thinking I will do a series of these and then hang them together in as a collage.
Supplies: Flower and Script and Postmark stamps (Magenta), Texture Paste, Tim Holtz Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Distress Spray Stains, Wild Honey and Peeled Paint Distress Inks, Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium and Vintage Collage Medium, Multi Medium Matte (Ranger), gesso (Liquitex), canvas (Dollarama), black tissue (misc.)
Head on over to the Bleeding Art Challenge Blog here. As you will see from the design team inspiration, there is an eclectic mix of projects and styles. Such ingenuity and creativity all packed together. The challenge starts mid month and you have a month's time to enter.