Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Mindset Matters - ICAD


Hello Crafty Peeps! I didn't think that I would get to start making an index card for ICAD2020 until I was finished school later this week as my life has been consumed with online learning but with having finished my last lesson planning for this week and faced with sweltering heat and patches of rain today, I thought to heck with it, I want to create. And so I did. So here is my creation inspired by Simon Says Stamps Monday Sprays and Splashes Challenge.




I have a ready stash of gessoed index cards so I started with that as the base and then scribbled on some Cheddar with a Dina Wakley Scribble Stick and activated it with a water brush. Then I sprayed it with water and let it run and also splatter it. Once that was dry, I did the same with a Peacock Scribble Stick but to a less extent so it was more of an accent colour. Once that was dry, I drew the branch in with a Stabilo All pencil and cut and collaged leaves from Dina Wakley printed tissue drawing around them also with the black pencil. Then I activated it with a brush and water smudging the lines and added design colour details to the centre of the branch.



Supplies: index card (Staples), Dina Wakley Cheddar and Peacock Scribble Sticks, Scribbly Small Birdies stamp, Collage Paper, Collage Words, Washi Tape, Mini Favourites stencil, Tim Holtz Black Soot Archival ink, Multi Medium Matte (Ranger), gesso (Liquitex), Black  All pencil (Stabilo), thread and dictionary page (Misc.)

While that was drying, I stamped the bird with Black Archival ink on a piece of dictionary paper and fussy cut it out. I added some left over bits of Dina Wakley washi tape to add balance and to cover where I had pressed too firmly with the Scribble Sticks and had left some scribble lines that hadn't dissolved. In trying out the bird placement, I decided it needed some more textural interests so I sewed the branch and leaves outline leaving lots of loose thread to create a nest for the bird and added gesso through a Mini Elements stencil to the background. Now that I was happy with that, I adhered the bird. Lastly, I cut and collaged the Dina collage words quote and splattered it with some of the black Stibilo scribbled on a mat with water to complete it.

One ICAD down, many more to come. :)

Be sure to check out the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge DT's Sprays and Splashes inspirational takes on the challenge along with all the participants' creative eye candy here.


TTFN,



2 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

great effect with the sprays Cassandra, and I must remember to use more book pages in my mixed media :)

Witchcrafted Life said...

Such a charming, instantly eye-catching design. Adore the spray ink work and text print on both the bird and the leaves.

Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life