Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Heat Wave Embossing Galore

This is a sweet ATC made using a resist technique from Day 2 and the masking offset titling technique from Day 3 for the sentiment. I used Tim Holtz Distress ink in Squeezed Lemonade and Twisted Citron for the pineapple and then clear embossed each one as I went along. Once they were all finished being embossed, I used a Prima zigzag stencil and Mermaid Lagoon Spray Stain to colour it. Once, sprayed, I lifted off the stencil and then ran a brayer down a section to spread and smear the ink so it would leave a ghost of the pattern but textural interest with the colour.




Supplies: 400 series watercolour paper (Strathmore), foam pineapple stamp (misc.), Tim Holtz Distress ink (Squeezed Lemonade, Twisted Citron), Mermaid Lagoon Distress Stain, black Archival ink (Ranger), clear and white emboss powder (Simon Says Stamp), VersaMark (Tsukineko), stencil and sentiment stamp (Prima), Signo white pen (Mitsubishi Pencil co.), grey marker (Fibracolor), jewels (Offray)


After wiping the excess from the emboss resist pineapples, I left it to dry. Once it was completely dry, I tried the offset title technique. It was a bit tricky but so much easier with the MISTI. The differential was a bit too little so I augmented it with a black uniball pen as well as doodling the border lines. Next, I added highlights and shadows with a white Signo pen and a light grey Fibracolor marker. Lastly, I added a few jewels for the finishing touch.


Next, I made this card using the masking technique from Day 3 for the hearts and tried out a new Cosmo Cricket Swatch Stick. I used a large Heidi Swapp heart stencil and the Ranger Emboss It dabber to dab all the heart images all around my watercolour cardstock. Then, I heat set it with clear emboss powder.




Supplies: 400 series watercolour paper (Strathmore), Julie Comstock Cosmo Cricket Swatch Stick watercolour (Advantus), Heidi Swapp heart stencil (Pink Paislee), clear emboss powder and Painted Thanks die cut (Simon Says Stamp), Emboss It dabber and Sticky embossing powder (Ranger), gold DecoFoil (Therm-o-web)


I really like this pretty pale turquoise-teal colour and as I was doing a resist wash with it, I decided not to go right to the edges but leave a soft border so you can vaguely see the shapes of the remaining hearts along the edges. After it was completely dry, I followed Kristina's steps for the removal of the emboss sections. It worked like a charm! I really liked the remaining matte look to this that it just felt like I had to pair it up with gold.




So I used the sticky emboss technique with gold foil on the Simon Says Stamp Painted Thanks sentiment die cut. I like the distress gold look that it gave to the word and how it all pairs together with the watercolour wash colour of the Swatch Stick. Love it!

Tomorrow is the wrap up day. It has been fun trying out a few more of the techniques from the Online Card Classes' Heat Wave course. I would highly recommend it. It can really boost your embossing game.

TTFN,


1 comment:

Deb said...

Beautiful cards Cassie, looks like you are having fun! Deb xo