Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Prima Watercolour Day 7 - Life is Sweet

The Day 7 prompt for the Prima 30 Days of Watercolor Challenge  
is Favourite Fruit. This is not an easy one for me. Firstly, because I love so many different fruits and it often depends on the season and their availability. Secondly, the fruit image part and creating it poses a challenge from an art standpoint but I am growing and learning and willing to try.

I chose cherries (one of my three favourite local summer fruits) as I just got my first taste for this year the other day. Yum, yum! I tackled it on a smaller scale... I made an ATC.




I used Strathmore 400 Series paper, Prima 'The Classics' Watercolor Confections (03 Red, 06 Green, 09 Violet, 11 Light Grey), the thinner Prima waterbrush, and both a 01 and 03 fine round watercolour brushes. I finished it off with an older Prima clear stamp sentiment using Archival Black ink.





I have to say that I am over the moon thrilled with how this turned out! I have been learning more about watercolouring over the year... different techniques, types of paper and brushes, getting the hang of page and brush hydration and practicing (mostly loose florals) but this is the first time I have tried something with more realism. I started with a wet-on-wet technique and then was patient and waited for area to dry before I went in and either added more or made adjustments. I really tried to focus on my shading to give them some style and three dimensionalism. I debated about adding some paint splatters at the end cause I do so love splatters but was afraid to wreck what I had surprisingly created. Maybe in the future when I am secure in my ability to be able to consistently paint them. ;)

This project was really a confidence booster. A total bonus to participating in the Prima Watercolour Challenge. Looking forward to taking on some more prompts.

TTFN,


1 comment:

Deb said...

Well done Cassie, they look good enough to eat! Deb xo