Pages

Monday, August 14, 2017

Don't Overthink It

I hadn't art journaled in sometime and recently I spent a little "me" time doing just that. I decided to work in my Moleskine art Journal and just started by gessoing a bunch of pages. It was a relaxing start as I would sketch out design ideas and gather supplies for my first pages as I waited for the gesso to dry. 


I knew I wanted to work with Dina Wakley media products and create some pages for her Show Us Your Media challenge. This month's focus for putting the ME in MEdia is "Create a piece of art about the things you say to yourself."

I knew that I wanted to use the "Hey You" stencil phrases as I bought them because many really resonate with me. I have loved listening to Dina over the past two years, since I became hooked on her easy going manner and laissez faire attitude in both videos, her written musings, and in person. I chose to go with this first one because it has been an issue for me.




Supplies: Dina Wakley Heavy Body Acrylic paints [Lime, Ocean, Night, White, Black], Umber and WHite Scribble Sticks, Wheels and Hey You stencils, Leaves mask, Scribbly Birds stamp, Gel Medium, Jet Black Archival ink (Ranger), white and clear Liquitex gesso, dictionary text page and tissue paper (misc.)


I am happy to say that I have been learning to break my perfectionist habit by diligently using this as a mantra along with... her "Oops oh well" and "better done than perfect". I am getting faster in my choices and letting little things go.

As for some interesting points in the creating process of this piece:
- I used the stamping on tissue technique so that I could use the reverse image of the bird for the orientation that I wanted. While I originally thought that I was going to paint the bird, I really liked the black and white effect it had on the page so I left it and coloured it in with a white Scribble Stick so it was not so transparent but became more opaque.
- I used my newly purchased Dina Wakley Media Tools... the flat piece large end one... to mark make with Night paint on my page. I made the marks by loading the silicone end with paint, placing it where I wanted it and then slightly pivoting from one end.

This page makes me happy. I like the colours, the design and that I took the "don't overthink" to heart when there was mask and stencil bleeding. 

TTFN,


No comments: