Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Butterfly Bliss Shabby Shadow Box Frame


Hidy ho crafty friends! Today's creation is a piece of home decor. It is a treat when you find two challenges that mesh beautifully and provide so much wonderful inspiration. Such was the case with this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Frame It challenge and A Vintage Journey's February Against the Grain challenge.




I created this home decor piece in a shabby style with patterned papers from the pretty KaiserCraft Scrap Studio collection. I cut the Tarnished pattern paper into a 4x6 piece and backed it with up-cycled cereal box board. Next, I stamped the KaiserCraft Sheet Music stamp with Wendy Vecchi Watering Can grey Archival ink in a few places. Then, I spread Faber-Castell Glass Bead Glitter Gel through the KaiserCraft Distressed Dots stencil.





While that was drying, I fussy cut the butterfly from the Course pattern paper and used a Golden Stardust Gelly Roll pen to trace over the butterfly's detail lines. Once that was done, I added Glossy Accents to the body and the two black dots for a little added dimension. I also trimmed off the pattern paper label from a piece of pattern paper from the KaiserCraft Everlasting collection, spritzed it with water, crumpled it and then straightened it somewhat to dry. This gives it a distressed look.





Once the glass bead glitter gel was dry, I added white watercolour paint from my Mijello Mission Gold watercolour set to help accent the distressed dots for added interest and shabbiness. While that was drying, I started to work on the frame. I used a Dollarama wooden paint panel on its back side. I gave it a a very light coat of Liquitex white gesso and then added a thin bit of white Decoart Acrylic paint. I was very light handed and rubbed off paint as I went so to allow the woodgrain and the wood's unfinished roughness to show through. Once it was dry, I cut a piece of Bazzill white woodgrain cardstock to fit the inside and adhered it to the back.





Next, I was back to the focal piece. I tore my prepped pattern strip in two pieces and tacked it down prior to stitching the corners with Darice hemp cord. I adhered a flight trail of hemp cord with Ranger Multi media Matte gel and then the butterfly. Next, I glued down the Dollarama gold glitter wood letters spelling bliss. Then, I used Therm-o-web's Decofoil adhesive pen along the edges and added their gold Decofoil for a distress gilded look. To finish the piece off, I added a piece of cardboard to the back before mounting it in the frame so to give it added dimension and a shadow box effect.





I am really pleased with how this turned out. It was a stroke of luck that these challenges inspired this fun creation. Head on over to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge here and a Vintage Journey: Against the Grain Challenge here to see some gorgeous eye candy inspiration and other participants takes on these challenges.

TTFN,


2 comments:

sarascloset said...

Oh, Wow, Cassandra! This is one stunning piece of framed artwork! I love the butterfly and how cool you were able to incorporate the wood grain paper as the background to that gorgeous mixed media panel. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at A Vintage Journey!

Christine Alexander said...

incredible background and it's so beautifully framed.