Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Shine Brightly


Hello Crafty Friends!

Today, I have an upcyled mixed media tag that I made inspired by Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge - Use Something New and Bleeding Art's December - Shiny and Sparkly Challenge.





I live in a small town that just opened its first Starbucks over the Christmas break and my daughter and I went into the new store for Chia Lattes. I saved my cup and washed it out as I thought that I the design elements were perfect for fussy cutting; and that is what I did for this tag. I fussy cut out the pattern for the bottom of the tag and the stars. The other new to me items that I used on the tag were Emerald Creek's Fractured Ice embossing powder and Ice Resin Sterling German Glass.





Both the emboss powder and glass add the "shiny" part of the Bleeding Art Challenge component. For the "sparkly" part, I added Vicki Boutin Iridescent CreativFX glaze to Distress Clear Rock Candy Crackle paint for some subtle sparkly crackle texture and jewels to the centre of the stars.





The tag base was made by first adding colour with Tim Holtz Distress Stains in Broken China, Cracked Pistachio and Hickory Smoke. Once that was dry, I scraped on some Vaseline and heat embossed the Fractured Ice embossing powder. Next, I scraped on some more Vaseline which acted as a resist for when I added a watered down white acrylic wash. After letting the acrylic paint set up for a minute, I then wipe over it and it comes off of the resist areas revealing colour from the base and the emboss powdered areas. Using a clean paper towel, I completely removed and residual petroleum jelly and carefully heat evaporate the rest with a heat tool. Then, I mixed up a little Iridescent CreativFX with the Distress Clear Rock Candy crackle paint and painted sporadically around the tag with the mixture. I set it aside to dry and crackle and then coloured the Tim Holtz ribbon with a combination of Cracked Pistachio, Lucky and Hickory Smoke Distress Stain sprays. After the tag was dry, I matted it onto a piece of upcycled ceral box chipboard to help reshape it and distressed the edges. Now it was ready for the embellishing touches. I adhered the Starbucks cup stars and pattern segment along with a Jet Black Archival inked Tim Holtz Quote Chip piece. I finished it off by adhering the glass shards, jewels to the stars, and the crinkle ribbon to the top.






I really like how this turned out and have decided to keep it as a new bookmark for my reading pleasure. It always brings a smile to my face when I open up a book to one of my little pieces of art. Plus, I have a momento of a happy memory of time spent with my daughter sharing our love of Chia Lattes for our first visit to Starbucks when it first came to town.

You can check out the challenge details and other entrants creations here:


          Bleeding Art




TTFN,


5 comments:

Cathy F said...

Beautiful tag for the challenge! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding Art!

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous, loving the sparkle which is ideal for our challenge over at Bleeding Art.
Hugs
Linda xxx
Bleeding Art DT

Anonymous said...

So Sparkly and beautiful!!!

Katie said...

Beautiful tag

Christine Alexander said...

great upcycling of the Starbucks coffee cup and love all the texture and sparkle