Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Alcohol Lift Ink Cards

Hello Crafty Mates!

Today, I am sharing two cards made from my first experimentation results using alcohol ink stamp lifting. My colour combo choice was inspired by last week's Color Throwdown colour combo #539. I knew that that particular colour mix would be a tricky challenge with using alcohol inks as there was the potential to make mud but I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone and play to figure out a way to make it work.


This first one is a CAS version.






After adding Tim Holtz Alcohol inks in Sunshine Yellow, Valencia, Turquoise, and Pool mixed with Alcohol Ink Blending Solution onto 5x7" Yupo paper, I let it dry. Next, I used the Simon Says Stamp Emma Background stamp in my MISTI along with Ranger Alcohol Lift ink to stamp on the Yupo paper. Then, I switched out the Yupo for my 4 1/4" x 6 5/8" Neenah 80 lb Smooth Solar White cardstock base and stamped the lifted image onto it. Then, I reinked the stamp with the Lift ink and repeated the stamping on the Yupo background and then back onto the card base. That is where using a MISTI is invaluable in allowing perfect restamping positioning! Lastly, to finish the card off, I die cut the sentiment using the Simon Says Stamp Script Thanks combo wafer die using vellum for the background and four layers of Bazzill black cardstock for the inner Thanks piece and adhered it to the card.


The second card is a stepped up mixed media version of the first card's design using the stamped Yupo piece.





After removing any excess Alcohol Lift ink from the Emma Background stamped image, I buffed the image with a piece of paper towel to deepen the contrast with more ink removal. Next, I fussy cut out the design and added Prima turquoise foil to the areas of the alcohol ink that were still slightly tacky. I popped it up with some fun foam cut slightly smaller that the design shape and adhered it to the Yupo paper and a 5 x 6 1/2" kraft card base. Then, for some detailed embellishment, I hand cut and mini circle punched a small piece of felt and added it along with jewels in the colour combo's colours in orange, yellow and blue to match. Lastly, to finish this one off, I used the Simon Says Stamp Painted Thanks wafer die, layered four die cut pieces made with Bazzill black cardstock and adhered it to the card.


This close up shows the foiled detail a bit better.






This was the colour combo inspiration photo.





I am entering these cards into the Simon Says Stamp Flickr Challenge #121 Die-ing for Creativity challenge and the Happy Little Stampers Anything Goes with Dies challenge.

I hope you like this initial attempts. As I mentioned earlier that I knew the colour combo would be a tricky one to work with using alcohol inks, I didn't stop at creating one coloured Yupo base. I ended up making three so I look forward to creating more cards from them and sharing them with you in the future.


TTFN,


1 comment:

Christine Alexander said...

you are reminding me to pull out my AI's and Alcohol lift ink pad. Wonderful inspiration Cassandra :)