Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Gelato Swatch Book Journaling of a Life Motto

My love affair with gelatos continues.  The March challenge over on the Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft blog by Mou Saha was the ideal prompt to have me complete another page in my swatch book journal.  The challenge was to create a project that shows the essence of your motto.







Supplies: gelatos and cardboard swatch book page (Faber-Castell), gesso (Golden), clear gesso (Liquitex), letter stickers (Creative Memories), quatrefoil screen stencil (Silhouette cut file by Jennifer Wambach), modeling paste (Pebeo), decoupage (DecoArt), tissue paper (Dollarama), marker (Sharpie), globe clip art(TheGraphicsFairy.com), chipboard (Maya Road), liquid glass (CTMH), wood veneer stars (Studio Calico)

This motto quote has been attributed to three different people.  I am partial to Dr. Suess but who knows which one is accurate.  All I know, is that from the first time I heard it, in a sports science lecture in university, it has resonated with me.

I started with the cardboard swatch book page that comes in the gelato starter kit.  I placed the stickers down and then gessoed.  Then I applied a first light layer of Snow Cone gelato colour and then added some modeling paste with a Silhouette cut file quatrefoil screen stencil.  Once dry, I decoupaged the tissue paper strips that I had printed the quote on.  Next came a fine layer of clear gesso and then the finishing gelato application.  I rubbed it in between the relief sections of the stencil design and along the edges to hide the tissue areas and then ran a damp cloth over to remove some colour on the top to complete the background.

Up next, I used Watermelon, Bubble gum and Metallic Melon gelatos to colour the Maya Road chipboard woman shape and topped it with liquid glass.

While the liquid glass was drying, I printed off the globe clip art image from the Graphics Fairy.com and coloured it in with a small brush and water using Lime and Green Tea gelatos along with Brown and Chocolate gelatos for the earth.  The water colour was achieved using a blend of Cotton Candy and Metallic Blueberry.  Once dry, I cut it out and decoupaged it onto the background.   Then I edged the entire page using a black Sharpie and decoupaged the whole page to seal it in.

While the decoupage was drying, I coloured a piece of scrap paper with a Red gelato and cut out the tiny heart.  I outlined it in black and decoupaged it on the dried person chipboard.  Lastly, I adhered the person and the three wood veneer stars and called it done.

Here is an angled close up...






To see my previous canvas swatch journal entry, check out this post here

TTFN,


3 comments:

Monique Liedtke said...

You're really good with the Gelato's!! This is fabulous!!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful background with gelatos! and love your quote!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous Cassandra! Love all the texture!