Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Happy Spring Handprint Shamrock Canvas Plus a Card

Loving the green on this 28"x 22" canvas as it brings cheer to my living room, especially given the very whiteness that still abounds outdoors.






Supplies: canvas (Artist's Loft, acrylic paints (Artist's Loft and Liquitex), pen (uniball)

If you can believe it, the shamrocks were made with my daughter's and my hands.  I wanted to make a canvas for St. Patrick's Day decor and I came up with the idea to make them that way.  It was very quick and easy to do.  After the hand, with fingers close together, is generously painted up like a stamp, the fingers are pointed towards the centre and the heel of the palm gets swept slightly from side to side.  Once dry, I outlined it with a Uniball black pen.  This is what it looked like initially.





After it was hung for a bit over my white mantle wall, I decided to add to it last weekend.  I mixed up a lighter, brighter shade of green and gave it a background using both a brush and paper towel.  This is were I have stopped for now.  I have an idea to possibly add more to it but I will have to wait a bit to see if the idea still grows on me because I am liking what it looks like right now.

In creating the background, I used pieces of paper towel.  When I was done, instead of disposing of them because I loved the colour of them, I wet them further to distribute the colour and let them dry.  I figured I would use them for a future project and so I did.

I made this mixed media card and gave it to my mother-in-law as a cheery touch of spring for her house.






Supplies: cardstock card base (Recollections), paer towel (President's Choice Max), cardstock (Canadian Scrapbooker Super Stock), acrylic paint (Artist's Loft and Liquitex), diamond stamp (Limited Edition), heart stamp (Inkadinkado), alphabet stamps (Studio Calico), "happy" stamp, green ink and marker, and Liquid Glass (CTMH), black inks (Ranger and Tsukinenko), gesso, molding paste and gel medium (Golden), stencil (The Crafter's Workshop), Silhouette Quatrefoil cut file (Jennifer Wambach), gelatos (Faber- Castell), Modge-Podge and black paint (Plaid), marker (Sharpie), Stardust Gelly Roll pen (Sakura), Black Glitter Glue (Hampton Arts), diamond Stickles (Ranger), flowers (Petaloo), sequins (Dollarama)



I stamped the dried paper towel and then tore it into pieces which I adhered onto a card base.  I used a glitter pen to add colour to the swirls in the diamond stamped images and covered with some watered down gesso.  Then using a clear gel medium, I stenciled a script font in three spots.
While it was drying, I stamped using green ink with a heart stamp four times on a scrap piece of leftover paper towel.  Then I added liquid glass to the stamped hearts for depth and shine.  Once dry, I cut the hearts out leaving a border to allow for a larger shamrock.

Back to my now dry card base, using gelatos in green hues, I added a bit more variety of greens, especially around the script font to allow it to show some detail.  Then I sealed the whole background with Modge Podge. Once dry, I splattered some watered down black acrylic paint on it.






Next, I assembled my cluster with a leftover Silhouette cut cardstock piece as a base that had modeling paste on it from when I used it as a background stencil on my Lexi layout. Then, I glued down the hearts to form a clover and added a stem.  A few Petaloo Flowers and a touch of gelatos.






Finishing up, I stamped "Oh Happy Day" and added black glitter glue.  Lastly, some bling... gold sequins, touch ups of the glitter pen filled areas, gold glitter glue to the flower centres and black edging.

With the addition of the bling and with all the green, I am entering it in the Off the Rails Scrapbooking's Green and Bling card challenge.

TTFN,


4 comments:

Narelle Fasulo said...

Love your card Cassandra. The more I look at it the more detail I see. So lovely. Thank you for joining us at Off The Rails Scrapbooking.

Monique Liedtke said...

You're so clever! i would never know how to do this! Wtg!

Rose Andrew said...

Beautiful card and love all the detail work .Thanks for playing along with us at Off Tha Rails Scrapbooking .
Good Luck
Rose

Fiona Paltridge Designs said...

CONGRATULATIONS Cassandra on your win! I've just featured your winning card on our Face Book page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/218271898365820/?fref=ts

Pop on over and have a look at your amazing creation on show as inspiration to our members. Thank you for playing along with us at Off the Rails and we hope to see you again. xx