Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Poseidon's Fury

Today I have something a little different for me. This one was quite a challenge as I tried out some new Tim Holtz techniques with Distress Paint resist, Frosted Film, and Dina Wakley Modeling Film.






Supplies: 9x12 canvas (Dollarama), Tim Holtz Distress Inks, Distress Emboss, Distress Paints, Distress Micro Glaze, Archival Ink, Glue n' Seal, Dina Wakley Gel Medium (Ranger), Tim Holtz stencil , white and clear Dina Wakley modeling film (Stampers Anonymous), Tim Holtz dies (Sizzix), Tim Holtz Frosted Film and word bands (Advantus), StazOn ink (Tsukineko), glass tiles (ArtMinds), crushed shells (Ashland Spring Filler), glass bead glitter gel (Faber-Castell)


There is nothing like spending sunny summer days with family and friends at an amusement park.  A few summers ago, we went to Universal Studio's Island of Adventure in Florida where I took these photos. Now you might say... "what photos?" as they do not appear in a standard form. The waterfall face photo was printed on paper and image transferred. After sealing it with clear gesso, I then graphite transferred the titling from another printed paper photo on top of it. 





I printed a 8x10 size photo of the arm and trident and fussy cut it out. I hand knotted a net with kitchen twine and then I coloured with distress inks to go behind the arm.





The amazing thing about a theme park is that it is purely a marvel of the imagination and science, thus I added the Tim Holtz word band "reality has limits, imagination is boundless".




A summertime ode to the god of water would not be complete without some sea creatures. I used the clear modeling film on the seahorse on the left and the white film on the right. They both looked good and this way they are each unique. I hand cut the seaweed from the left over frost film covered modeling film and then coloured them with a combination of permanent inks to get the colouring.

The push to get this out of my head and onto a canvas, came from the Summer Days Challenge at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge and Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge of "i scream for"... in this case... Island of Adventure, imagination and ink.



                 Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog



TTFN,


4 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow this canvas is amazing! Love the image of the hand with the trident and love the image transfer! So much details in this piece! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Bente Fagerberg said...

This is so fabulous. I really admire you for trying out so much new stuff (and pulling it off!!) ove the look of that film you used and the glass tiles. So cool!!!!

Donna B. said...

Awesome canvas! I love the tutorial and all the techniques you used. Thanks for playing at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Dodie said...

Beautiful and so creative. I can see why your entry was chosen. Congratulations!