Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Nook U - Graphic Arts 101

So my favourite online scrappy place My Scrapbook Nook is hosting their annual Nook U.


The first class is by Stacey Michaud entitled Graphic Arts 101. Be sure to check it out.  Her lesson, in true teacher form, is exceptional with clearly illustrated and explained concepts.  I am a huge Stacey fan.  Her work always brings a smile to my face because her layouts elicit a sense of fun and are fabulously designed.  Besides the Nook, she is a DT member for Pink Paislee (so love their stuff).  To see more of her fabulous work and learn more about her, check out her blog.

Here is my take on the challenge:


Full list of supplies can be found here.

 I really like the way it turned out.  I kept the embellishments to the minimum to let the multiple pictures tell the story.  I used the Nook's May kit featuring October Afternoon to make it.

Assignment elements covered:
Have a clear focal point: focal point (4x6) photo using rule of thirds, embellished with use of 3 elements (text areas) and also 5s (photos), “y” letter parallel to my dd’s arm in photo
Have contrast on your page: mixed lettering in the title work and contrasting colour (coral and green)
Create flow on your layout: using the natural flow within the photos (my dd’s hand actions), I created movement with 2x3s on diagonals, first 2 left and then 2 to the right.
Use the visual triangle: 3 Visual Triangles created with the text area, the colour green (green text, green grass and green banner flag), and the coral (title stickers, girls skirt and banner flag) with the photos in the triangulated area
Achieve balance on your layout: while elements are different and not symmetrical, there is balance between the left and right side.
I really liked how I covered it. Some parts were conscious choices I was making while designing it, others just happened to evolve in the process. I believe that is what makes this LO work and why it felt right when I decided upon the end arrangement. I stopped because it felt right but in reflection it probably worked and felt right because I had subconsciously achieved a balance of further good design elements that I discovered were there upon reflection of the finished piece.

Can you guess which choices were on purpose?

Conscience choices were focal point, visual triangle, and contrast.  It is funny how these things happen during the creative process.

** updated - Here is my add-to version with touches of black:




TTFN!

No comments: