Pages

Monday, July 6, 2020

A Good Reminder


Now that I have started my vacation time, being mindful is what I need right now as I attempt to unwind. Today's index card for ICAD2020 is a reminder that the first step is to... just breathe. That slow deep breath does wonders to calm a tense body and spinning mind.




Creating helps me be mindful. I am a slow crafter. I like to take my time as I create. I find the process relaxing and a sense of joy and fulfillment when I create something that didn't exist until I created it. 

For this mixed media index card, my colour medium as I join in Kathy Raccosin's the Daily Marker 30 Day Color Challenge is both watercolour and acrylic. As to the colours, I was inspired by the rich emerald gem tones of the Mixed Media Place's June Moodboard. When I saw the colours it reminded me of a pretty baby wipe that I had saved after creating an ICAD with those colours from a previous year. When you think of watercolouring, upcyling a baby wipe used in cleaning up watercolour splattering likely doesn't come to mind but I thought that it would make a great base for what I had in mind and keep me on track for World Watercolour Month. Think of the background like a watercolour abstract painting. The watercolours came from the lots of splatters using Prima Watercolour Confections from the Classics and Tropicals sets when I created this previous background.





To start, the index card base was stamped with a Prima background stamp, blended with a blend of Tim Holtz Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress ink along distressing the edges and then edging it with Distress Ink. After adhering the baby wipe with Matte Multimedium Gell and letting it dry, I used a Brown Stabilo All watercolour pencil dipped in water to draw my leaf sprig. Once that was dry, I took it to my sewing machine and used embroidery thread to outline the sprig. Next, I switched up the thread to a more common standard weight brown multipurpose thread and stitched around the outside adding in some zigzag stitches for rule of 3 and framing interest.

Once back at my craft table, I stamped the Finnabair Messy Writing onto it with Coffee Archival Ink. Initially I thought I would be done at that point, but looking at it, I felt the leaves needed to stand out more so I painted the lower part with Finnabair Mermaid Teal Metallique paint and dabbing it off as I went to lighten and blend it. Next, I painted the top portions as highlighted areas with water-downed Finnabair Gesso. Again, dabbing off as I went to lighten and blend. I completed the painting part by added some tiny splatters of the gesso. Lastly, I distress inked the sentiment strip before adhering it with some cut pieces of cereal box board to pop it up for a little added dimension.

Here's a look at the ICAD again:




Supplies: Index card (Staples), IOD Text background stamp, Finnabair Messy Script stamp, Finnabair Mermaid Teal Metallique paint, gesso, Finnabair Sentiment sticker (Prima), Tim Holtz Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress ink, Coffee Archival ink, Multi Medium Matte (Ranger), Brown All pencil (Stabilo), brown embroidery thread (Aurifil Mako'Ne), brown thread and baby wipe (misc.)

Here is the Mixed Media Place moodboard. Oh, so pretty!




I am also playing along with:

Mix It Up Challenge - #39 Anything Goes + Open Technique




TTFN,

6 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful colours Cassandra :)

Witchcrafted Life said...

Immensely lovely creation and post, Cassandra. I am a million miles away from being a lightning-fast crafter usually myself, too, but rarely mind. There is a great deal to gleaned from the creating process, not just the end result it produces. I love the relaxing, cathartic, enjoyable nature of taking my time and savouring hours (or days) spent with a single project.

Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

Maria Lillepruun said...

Very beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us at Mixed Media Place!

Andree said...

A lovely project. Fabulous colours and super textures with the baby wipe and stitching.
Thank you for joining in with our July challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning index card! I love the colours and design, the metallique shimmer on the leaves look gorgeous 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Creative Artiste! Hugs, Jo x

Трофимова Наталья said...

Вeautiful! Thank you for sharing with us at Mixed Media Place!