Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Find Joy


Hello Fellow Creatives! Today, I have a watercoloured mixed media index card towards my quest of participating in Kathy Raccosin's the Daily Marker 30 Day Color ChallengeWorld Watercolour Month, and ICAD2020. The vintage style for this one was inspired by A Vintage Journey's Watercolour Wonders Challenge and my inspiration for stamp choices comes from the SSS Flickr Challenge #153 Crazy for Coloring.




I started by using up scrap bits from creations that I had in my scraps bin on my table... vintage book page text, beige tissue paper, Tim Holtz tissue paper, stamped off bits from cleaning stamps, and vintage style patterned papers. After collaging them with Multi Medium Matte, I scraped on white gesso. Once dry, I covered the entire card with clear gesso so that it would have some tooth for the watercolours. Once that was dry, I used a flower from the SSS Spring Flowers set and stamped it with Jet Black archival ink. Next, I inked up only a portion of the stamp to create the smaller flower and then decided the first bloom needed to be bigger so added an inked up portion to it too.




Instead of masking off the flowers, I decided to add in the leaves and stems but using a watercolor ink. At first I tried my go-to no-line Tim Holtz Antique Linen Distress ink but due to the background colour, that didn't work so I used one of the leaf springs stamps and inked it with Tim Holtz Peeled Paint. Next, I used water and a paint brush to move and remove the part that I didn't want; providing some colour to the back of the image. While that was drying, I began to paint the flowers and then the leaves and stems with Mijello Mission Gold watercolour paints. Once the paint had dried, I used a black Micron pen to doodle with the lines on the flowers and added lines for the leaves and stems. I splattered around the flower with green paint and then with Copic Opaque white after it had dried. Next, I arranged and stamped the sentiment using the SSS Big Words stamp set with Black Soot Archival ink and then finished the card off by sewing around the edges and adding white highlight to the sentiment with a Signo White pen.




Supplies: Spring Flowers and Big Words stamps (Simon Says Stamp), Mission Gold watercolours (Mijello), Jet Black and Black Soot Archival ink,  Multi Medium Matte, Shabby Shutters Distress Ink (Ranger), white and clear gesso (Liquitex), Pigma Micron (Sakura), Uniball Signo White pen (Mitsubishi Pencil Co.), Opaque White Ink (Copic), embroidery thread (Aurifil Mako'Ne), Tim Holtz Tissue (Advantus), index card (Staples), book text, patterned paper and beige tissue paper (Misc.)

You can check out the A Vintage Journey's Watercolour Wonders DT creations by heading to their blog here and all the other amazing colouring, watercolour and ICADs by using the hashtags #thedailymarker30day, #WorldWatercolorMonth, #dyicad2020 on social media or SSSFlickrchallenge#153 in Flickr.

TTFN,

9 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Wonderfully pretty! Love the stitching, mix of sheet music and text print papers, and the summer energy that radiants from this beautiful creation.

Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

Christine Alexander said...

love your index card image great inspiration for me :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning index card! It's such a beautiful design and I love the collage background and how you applied the Distress Inks like watercolour for the gorgeous flower 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey! Hugs, Jo x

Deb said...

Beautiful Cassie, thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Watercolour Wonders challenge! Deb xo

toni said...

Fabulous ICAD! I love the layered background, the beautiful flower really pops out against it . Thank you so much for joining our challenge over at A Vintage Journey. Toni x

Words and Pictures said...

I just love this - the collaged whitewashed background and the gorgeous transparent colours of the flower - heavenly. Thank you for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison x

Beulah Bee said...

Nice!

Christine Alexander said...

congrats on being pinworthy at A vintage journey :)

Trillian As said...

I just came across and saw your card. It is amazing. Thank you for sharing so nice art.